Whether or not the Internet is ´the biggest ever experiment in anarchy´, as a Mr Eric Schmidt once seems to have said, or ´a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo´, it´s been a hot, very hot, day with endless and frustrating Internet problems, and long, long (and I mean ... LONG) phone conversations with friendly but oh so unhelpful and either linguistically or technologically challenged Telstra techno people.
And all I wanted to do was to install a new modem. That´s not asking much, is it? After all, The Lady had said: ´It´s better, faster, and has more coverage.´ Not. It seems to have no coverage at all. It seems to have less coverage than a pole dancer in a seedy night club. (Not that I know anything about pole dancing. Or night clubs. Or seedy ones.) Anyway, won´t tire faithful readers with the boring details and the fact I lost at least five liters of precious fluids due to excessive frustration-leveraged, erm, sweating.
Were it not for the fact that I simply cannot be without Internet for my work, I would not have worried. But, I have the old system up and running again and will patiently await the coming of a Telstra Technician who Will No Doubt Sort It All Out. Suffice it to say that this was not how I had envisaged spending my warm, summery Sunday!
Fortunately the day started and ended with wonderful and calming chats with my love in Lisbon who is, likewise, buried - but in her case in her work. We are both REALLY looking forward to the time when we don´t need slow, sluggish or sedentary Internet because we are permanently (!) in the same time zone. Also, at the end of the day Tess and Yarrow arrived back (thanks, Mieke for the Towel Of Wet Comfort (or was it the Wet Towel of Comfort?) during what was, unfortunately, not to be the last phonecall of the day).
As the American writer and humourist Dave Barry said: “While you are destroying your mind watching the worthless, brain-rotting drivel on TV, we on the Internet are exchanging, freely and openly, the most uninhibited, intimate and, yes, shocking details about our "CONFIG.SYS" settings.” Oh, let´s get a life...

No comments:
Post a Comment