Monday, September 13, 2010

Laat me

I realized this week that one of my favourite Dutch singers, Ramses Shaffy, had died late 2009. He was one of the most ´authentic´of Dutch singers and one of the most ´real´people I have known, writing, singing and performing the most beautiful music (a lot of Jacques Brel music, by the way). Shaffy became very ill during the latter part of his life and simply could not remember the lyrics to the some 175 songs he wrote... so the few live performances he did do, were always a bit of a surprise as to what would happen. The clip shows him, a few years back, performing one of his great songs Laat me (originally by Sergio Reggiani's ´Ma dernière volonté´), collaborating with a ´young´band Alderliefste and his life-long companion singer Liesbeth List (well-know as the Dutch Edit Piaf, as well as being an acclaimed artist in her own right). Lyrics translated below.




Ik ben misschien te laat geboren / Maybe I was born too late.
Of in een land met ander licht / Or in a country with a different light.
Ik voel me altijd wat verloren / I always feel a bit lost.
Al toont de spiegel mijn gezicht / Even though I see my face in the mirror.

Ik ken de kroegen, kathedralen / I know the pubs and cathedrals
Van Amsterdam tot aan Maastricht / From Amsterdam to Maastricht
Toch zal ik elke dag verdwalen / And yet, I will get lost every day
Dat houdt de zaak in evenwicht / I guess that brings balance to my life.

Laat me / Just let me
Laat me / Let me
Laat me m'n eigen gang maar gaan/ Let me live the way I do
Laat me / Let me
Laat me / Just let me
Ik heb 't altijd zo gedaan / It´s how I´ve always lived my life

Ik zal m'n vrienden niet vergeten / I won´t forget my friends
Want wie me lief is blijft me lief / Because I´ll always love those that I love
En waar ze wonen moest ik weten / I should know where they live
Maar 'k verloor hun laatste brief / But I lost their last letters

Ik zal ze heus nog wel ontmoeten / I´m sure I´ll meet them again
Misschien vandaag, misschien over 'n jaar / Maybe today, maybe next year
Ik zal ze kussen en begroeten / I will kiss them and greet them
't Komt vanzelf weer voor elkaar / It will be all right

chorus

Ik ben gelukkig niet verankerd / Fortunately, I´m not anchored
Soms woon ik hier, soms leef ik daar / Sometimes I live here, sometimes there
Ik heb m'n leven niet verkankerd / I haven´t wasted my life
Ik heb geen bezit en geen bezwaar / Have no possessions, no objections

Ik hou van water en van aarde / I love water, and earth
Ik hou van schamel en van duur / I love poor and lavish
D'r is geen stuiver die ik spaarde / I haven´t saved a dime
Ik leef gewoon van uur tot uur / I just live from hour to hour

chorus

Ik zal ook wel eens een keertje sterven / Sure, I´ll die one day
Daar kom ik echt niet onderuit / I won´t be able to avoid that
Ik laat m'n liedjes dan maar zwerven / I´ll just let my song roam
En verder zoek je 't maar uit / Do with them whatever you want

Voorlopig blijf ik nog jou zoenen / For now I´ll remain your singer
Jouw zwarte schaap, jouw trouwe fan / Your black sheep, your loyal fan
Ik blijf nog lang en liefst nog langer / I´ll stay around, preferably longer
Maar laat me blijven wie ik ben / But let me be who I am

No comments:

Post a Comment