Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sunny but hectic

A sunny, cold day in Lisboa. Started a new project - well, ´new ´is not strictly true. Started writing a revision of the lower levels of my Dutch course Real English (you know, the one that has been going for 25 or so years ...). Revamping and renewing this level into two levels, one for 8 year-olds, and one for 9 year-olds, and bringing them within the ´fold´of the Real English brand - turning the Real English series into a 4-level course rather than a 2-level one, with the bells and whistles of the Interactive Whiteboard and an internet site. Very technical, but quite fun - because writing for such young kids is.

Niki and I are both Very Busy ... Too Busy For Our Boots, as I´m sure Winnie the Pooh would have said had he only been Employed, but of course he never knew of Such Things, fortunately, as he was a bear, and bears Don´t Do Things Like That. We´re both longing for two months down the road, when The Hectic Days turn, for a while at least, into Holi Days (as in Holidays haha!). I know ... It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”


Talking of Holi, of the Holy variety - for those who are interested, either for social or religious considerations, or Just Because: the pope is in Portugal and causing Quite A Stir, in terms of white handkerchiefs being waved at him as he passes by in his Papa Movil. Portugal is, largely, a Catholic country, so you can imagine the joy and fervour with which he has been received, although I must say that the streets were a tad emptier than I have seen them elsewhere on papal visits. He arrived in the Vatican equivalent of the US´Airforce 1, and then flew from Lisbon to Fatima (yes, the place where Special Things Have Happened In The Past - just Pooh Bear speaking here) in an army helicopter. Has he assumed leadership of (yet) another army then? Apologies, I cannot but write with some degree of cynicism about the good man and what he stands for. Mind you, in his favour - he seems to speak Way More Portuguese than I ever will... or at least knows how to read it aloud...

No comments:

Post a Comment