When I was on the way back from Slovenia to Portugal I struck upon the airport shop´s English department (a whole half a square meter of it!), but it had this gem of a book in it: Ben Okri´s Tales of Freedom. In it, the 100 or so page story called ´The Comic Destiny´ is a wonderful Okri tale, reminiscent (but unique in itself) of Becket´s Waiting for Godot, in which characters mill around in a world without definition, seemingly waiting for nothing, but symbolising and expressing life in all its intricate fascination at the same time. A lovely story.´As we were saying. We have indeed found the spot, and the spot has indeed found us. We have not yet arrived, but every point at which we stop requires a re-definition of our destination.´
And isn´t that so true - every step we take in life leads us to a new place, which defines itself and is defined by us, but also paves the way for the next destination. Don´t we all ask ourselves regularly: ´If I hadn´t done or said this, or if this or that hadn´t happened, then...´ and aren´t we then full of amazement at how things have panned out? I find that fascinating.
And isn´t that so true - every step we take in life leads us to a new place, which defines itself and is defined by us, but also paves the way for the next destination. Don´t we all ask ourselves regularly: ´If I hadn´t done or said this, or if this or that hadn´t happened, then...´ and aren´t we then full of amazement at how things have panned out? I find that fascinating.
Hi .... Mam wants to post a comment but your blog won't accept anonymous or unregistered users. Can you change that? You can still ask for word verification, so you won't get spammed ... Cheers ... M
ReplyDelete