Sunday, December 13, 2009

Land

I´m reading Alexander McCall SMith´s The No. 1 Ladies´Detective Agency, a book which I have seen in bookshops for years, and has always sort of intrigued. I´d never actually bought it though, but Niki has a copy and I started in it. It´s charming, and unusual, with a riveting story about Mme Ramotswe who starts Botswana´s only female detective agency. It gives us a curious insight into people´s behaviour but also a deep-felt sense of place.

A few gems of phrases from the book. Only half-way through the novel, but I thought I´d share these with you, as they speak to me:

´... every man has a map in his heart of his own country ... and the heart will never allow you to forget this map.´

´... there is a place for me, for everybody, to sit down on this earth and touch it and call it their own.´

No comments:

Post a Comment