Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Palsying on....

After a somewhat unsatisfactory visit to the VU academic hospital, where I really got none the wiser, Niki did some research and found the website of the UK based Bell´s Palsy Association. Here, the following paragraph describes exactly, and I mean exactly, what happened:

´Bell's palsy is an acquired weakness of one side of the face, due to an injury to the facial nerve. The symptoms on the affected side typically include inability to close the eye, to smile, wrinkle the forehead and whistle. Speech may be mildly slurred. Tearing occurs because the eye does not close completely. ... Bell's palsy usually develops over hours to days. The peak involvement usually happens within several days. Mild pain behind the ear is common at onset, as is a subjective sensation of "numbness" of the affected side. Usually it is first noticed when a persons observes it in a mirror, or on eating because food tends to collect between the cheek and gums´.

The tell-tale mild pain behind the ear was a new piece of medical information for me but, with hindsight, was clearly there - I hadn´t paid attention to it, even though I did notice it at the time, because I have regular ear infections.

No comments:

Post a Comment