Saturday, March 24, 2012

Prize bone


Raffi, Yarrow and I went to Pup training today. It was mainly Yarrow who was doing the 'stuff' with Raffi - getting him to walk, sit on a mat and generally do *good* things! And we did it! We got the prize bone! Whoo hoo!!! :) Yum! Lamb pate treats! He slept all afternoon, which on a previous occasion the trainer Sarah had told me was normal due to all the mental activity (what do I have to do get that treat?) I then asked her (after we'd got the good behaviour prize firmly in our sweaty little paws (!) hmmm... so when the dog jumps on the table.... cos that's what happened this week. Suddenly two Maloufs? oh no! It's Malouf and Raffi... What?? Interestingly she then told me the Alpha roll (where you throw the dog on its back when it's been naughty) is not scientifically proven (Research does not prove... ) and so it's now actually looked down upon as in doing this you are not doing what happens in the wild - the alpha female doesn't do this - unless she is going to kill. So on that basis, in doing this you are actually bringing out the aggressive side in a dog. So I've been reading about mentally stimulating the dog, getting the dog to 'work' for it's food - ie sit, paw, turn around etc... and I have to say, Raffi does an amazing dinner time dance! (not quite up to Chicco's extended routine! ) Soooo you think you just want to learn how to walk the dog.... like everything , bit more complicated! But hey! nothing went wrong today and we won the prize!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment