Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Update from Paradise

And then suddenly I found that I had been back for more than a week already... Time flies when ... erm ... one is jet-lagged and trying to catch up with deadlines that suddenly loom ...

Red, ´my´ builder, has been around since early this week to work on the improvement of the guest accommodation in the main house. Only yesterday, cleaning lady Edith referred to him as ´The Handyman´, thus neatly establishing the right kind of classless interpersonal footing this country lacks.... Red sighed, as he was mucking about with pipes and dirt, working on putting the new bathroom in in Anjes´room. He said, ´I wish I didn´t have to work for me money.´ (The stress was not on the second ´I´, fortunately, which might have suggested he thought that I wasn´t...)

A bit later, over a cup of tea and some lunch he sighed, ´Another day in Paradise.´ Hmm, do we like living here, in the Northern Rivers? I guess so... So, hurry up, Time, and bring Niki here, too!

Niki and I have reverted to daily Skype gatherings which, let´s face it, despite the fact they are wonderful and loving and ´Geez, just imagine twenty years ago this would have been impossible´, are Making Do. On the other hand they are a reality for us right now and neither of us can wait until, soon, these modes of communication will no longer be necessary.

In the meantime, while Pondering Life´s Conundrums ..., erm while Writing and Making Deadlines rather..., Red stayed Down To Earth (literally) and produced what can be seen in this pictorial representation: the pipes which will underlie the floor of the bathroom, shower, toilet and vanity. Not exactly poetic and concurrent with loads of concrete grinding noise and dust, as well as dirt and grit, but nice to see it grow. Tomorrow the pipes will be covered and concreted over again, after which a new window will be put in and the walls of the room will go up.

No comments:

Post a Comment