Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Back again ...

Niki recently wrote to Tess and Yarrow: "Sometimes I wonder if it’s harder for you and me, or your Dad? I mean, is it harder to say goodbye, or to be said goodbye to? Is it easier for your Dad who is always going to loved ones at the end of the journey? Or is it harder, because making that journey also implies always having to say goodbye?" It's so true - and the only way to make sense of this, is to realise why this is all happening, and what The Plan is for the future.

So here I am again, this time I'm, erm, in Portugal. Talk about a sea change - from 35 degrees to, well, a lot less; from hot summer sun to wet winter rain - but Niki provides enough sunshine and light to brighten up the day...

This time it's a long trip, and I won't be back in Australia until the end of January. But, having said that, both Niki and I are eagerly, eagerly awaiting the arrival of Tess, Yarrow and Anjes by end of December. Anjes will stay with us in Lisbon for a few days around New Year; Tess and Yarrow will stay with Niki and I for two weeks and then I'll take them to Amsterdam for one. They're very excited and much looking forward to the trip, as are Niki and I.

At home (which home?) Denise is minding the house and cats for a few weeks, after which John's daughter Bella and her boyfriend Tim will take over. For a moment it looked as if I had taken the wonderful sunshine, which Denise had so been looking forward to enjoying, with me to Europe as it started raining as soon as I left (for the unitiated: Denise has visited us a few times in the past and everytime she was here, it rained, copiously and endlessly. But not this time round!)

On my way through Amsterdam, I bought a collection of speculaas, gevulde speculaas, speculaasbrokken, strooigoed, schuimpjes and other Sinterklaasalia. I had promised Niki I would share some of this Dutch seasonal cheer with her so off I went to a supermarket to come home with a bagful of sugary biscuits and sweets... Not that I myself would eat any of this, of course. No, Ellen, I wouldn't! (hehe). I found Niki scoffing the strooigoed after I had succumbed to jetlag-induced sleep last night and woke up at midnight ...

So, more from me over the next weeks as Niki and I embark on yet another exciting stage of our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment