Wednesday, October 10, 2012

ADFAS

Being a writer can be a somewhat lonely occupation (although I have always felt I have a large and active social network spread out over the globe and haven't actually experienced the lack of interaction that much). Nevertheless, I am also trying to bond a bit more with the community directly around me, and have been accepted on the committee of the local ADFAS group. ADFAS is The Association of Australian Decorative and Fine Arts Societies. It is a group of 34 Societies that offer their members a series of monthly informative and entertaining illustrated lectures plus some workshops covering a broad range of subjects relating to art. ADFAS lecturers are mostly from the UK , some are Australian. They are experts in their field and are often curators of galleries or professionals who have written widely in their subjects. Overseas lecturers come to Australia to tour one of three circuits and lecture only to ADFAS members while on tour. ADFAS is based on the National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS) founded in England in 1968 and I believe Niki's mum Ann has been involved with that organisation.

A local Society is managed by a volunteer chairman and committee who organise the presentation of the annual program of six to nine lectures.I've had my first committee meeting a few days ago. I think it will be a lovely opportunity to get out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment