Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lazy, lazy, and the Chicken and the Cat

It´s a very, very lazy Sunday morning. It´s raining a drizzly but constant kind of rain; not cold, but low-hanging clouds and mist in the valley, and a cold tinge on the edges of the day. (Scattered showers, the weather report said - well, it´s been like this for the past 7 hours ...). The cats cannot be anything else but lazy, either, and are sleeping in various catty spaces on the deck; Chicco has found an old blanket to lie down on. The girls are lounging, lazily, reading, watching movies, showering; I am re-reading John Irving´s A widow for one Year (a book I know, for a fact, I read and admired years ago, until, re-reading it now, I realize I remembered absolutely nothing about, until I got to the part that is set in Amsterdam...) 

One of those days when nothing much happens.

I just realised that Tess and Yarrow are staying tonight as well, on account of tomorrow being my birthday, which is really nice! So tonight will be apple-cake baking time to prepare for the ancient ritual of Cake In Bed On Birthdays.

This morning I observed an unusual scene: I had fed Malouf his breakfast and spilled some of the cat food around his bowl. Darren´s chicken, Luna, who occasionally visits, arrived on the scene and companionably pecked away at some of the food. At some point, Malouf looked sideways, and I wonder whether anything else but the smell and taste of food went through its mind on seeing the chicken there, eating ´with him´.

My love, in the meantime, is ´on´ her last weekend in Lisboã - spending time with her best friends Susie and Rita. Rita helped her make an inventory of the apartment on Saturday. On (her) today, she will have a picnic with friends ahead of her trip Down Under at the end of the week. I hope the weather will be nicer than it is here now!

No comments:

Post a Comment